Small Business Training for a Guatemalan Coffee Association

By Allison Greene, F2F Volunteer in April 2023

About the Assignment: Allison Greene supported the Asociacion de Productores de Olopa (APOLO) as a Business Development Expert. Ms. Greene trained APOLO staff on how to forecast sales, maintain inventory, conduct basic accounting, and aspects of operating a small business. Ms. Greene has professional experience in private sector consulting, business development, implementation of food product innovations, and project management.

I traveled as a Small Business Operations expert to support APOLO, a coffee association and café, in Olopa, Chiquimula, Guatemala. My assignment was to provide training on basic accounting practices, inventory control, sales forecasting, and reviewing various profit scenarios for the newly opened café. Over the course of my two weeks with the APOLO team, I had the opportunity to witness them in action in the office and the café, which better informed my training materials and helped me create unique systems just for them. 

The APOLO team is incredible and so wonderful to work with. During the trainings they were engaged, asking thoughtful questions, and really participating in the activities set up for them. As not everyone could attend all training sessions with me, they volunteered to train each other, which allowed me the opportunity to see just how much they had learned and to see how excited they were to use these tools. I feel confident they now have the skills and tools to support the growth and sustainability of their business and I’m so proud to have contributed to that. 

One of the best parts of the Farmer-to-Farmer program is it keeps you on your toes! This was my second assignment in Guatemala so I assumed I would be more prepared but – of course – plans changed. I had prepared workshop materials for inventory management, sales tracking and forecasting, and basic accounting practices before I arrived. In my first meeting with APOLO, I was asked to lead an additional, full day community training on general business development practices at some point during the second week. No small task, but a challenge is what I came for! And this final training turned out to be my favorite day of the assignment. 

I came back for a second assignment in Guatemala because this program gets you out of your day-to-day routine and reminds you just how beautiful life can be. The Guatemalan people are so kind, welcoming, and full of energy, they are great to work with and I will gladly sign up for another assignment if the opportunity arises. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Marketing and Communications to Showcase the Work of our Hosts in Colombia

My First Goat: A Professor, Students, and some Goats Tackle Food Insecurity in Rural Guatemala

Digital Marketing in Colombia