A First-time F2F Volunteer's Experience in Nicaragua

During my volunteer assignment in Nicaragua I had the opportunity to visit different cities to give workshops. At first, I was a little bit nervous because I’d never given any type of workshops before. I was really excited about it, but nervous at the same time. Even more when they told me that I was going to give the first workshop to teachers. The first workshop was called “Marketing Digital” and I gave that to the middle school teachers of the Collegio San Luis. This one, consisted of giving teachers different ideas and tools that they could use within their classrooms.

During the workshop, I explained what social media is and what type of social media platforms are out there. I also explained them the different kinds of Technologies of Information and Communication (ICT) like computes and cellphones and the way we utilize them. I told the teachers what were the benefits of using new technologies and social media platforms. For example, how their students are always in touch with social media and they’re experts in using it, and how their parents can know what they’re doing in class. It was very nice meeting the teachers because they were really fun and sweet! They even got me a card and bracelet form their school to thank me for the workshops! 

During my assignment, there were other workshops I gave including public relations for business owners and how they can increase their followers and potential buyers by increasing their public relations awareness and using social media. It was very fun to give these workshops and also to learn from Nicaraguans. I was even covered by the media over there. It was very exiting being interviewed for the first time! (link to video of interview below)

My weekend in Nicaragua was also very fun I visited the city of Granada which is a colonial city In Nicaragua. When the weekend was over I continued with the workshops and also took some photos and PR videos for a non-profit organization in Nicaragua called Finde.


Definitely this is an experienced that I’m going to remember my whole life. I’m very happy I had the opportunity to volunteer and give something back to people. I studied a lot during college and I did not have a lot of time to complete volunteer assignments, so I’m happy I was able to complete this one. Honestly, at first, I was kind of skeptical on how people could benefit from the workshops I was going to give. Since I thought it was very basic information. However, once I arrived to Nicaragua I realized that the teaching methods and technologies are different than in the U.S. and I’m very sure the workshops I gave, were very useful to them.

Now, I think they not only have the tools, but the enthusiasm to learn and use social media and technologies to teach, promote, and create awareness. I also think I gained a lot of professional experienced during my volunteer assignments. Since, I had never taught anything before. I think this is definitely something I can put in my curriculum. I’m very thankful for the opportunity that was given to me. I learned a lot from the people I worked with. Now, I think I’m not only a better communicator but also a better human being.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Marketing and Communications to Showcase the Work of our Hosts in Colombia

My First Goat: A Professor, Students, and some Goats Tackle Food Insecurity in Rural Guatemala

Digital Marketing in Colombia